We respect your right to privacy. Our overall aim is to ensure that our collection and use of personal information is appropriate to the provision of Discovery Kids Content to you, and is in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
- Who we are
- The personal information we collect about you
- How we store and use your personal information
- Anonymous data
- How we share your personal information and who we share it with
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Data Retention
- Your rights
- Third party sites
- Complaints, questions and suggestions
We are DPlay Entertainment Limited, registered in England with company number 09615785 whose registered office is at Chiswick Park Building 2, 566 Chiswick High Road, London, W4 5YB, United Kingdom (“DEL”) and we are the data controller of the personal information that we collect from you.
Only those who are aged 18 years or over may install and use the App but we allow children to use the App with your permission and under your supervision.
We do not collect personal information such as names, contact details or account details from children who use the App because they do not have their own account but we do collect information about what Discovery Kids Content is accessed through each account. This means that we may collect certain personal information relating to a child (for example, whether they access certain programmes if a parent sets up an individual profile for the child in their account).
We collect, store and use anonymised usage data from the App for the purpose of monitoring usage of our Discovery Kids Content and informing future improvements (for example, finding out what content is most popular). To the extent that this inadvertently includes any personal information relating to children, we do not believe that this storage and use will unduly prejudice a child’s rights or freedoms.
When you access and browse the App (including when you submit personal information to us through data entry fields on the App sign up) and Discovery Kids Content and subscribe to our Discovery Kids Content, we collect the following information from you:
- your name;
- your email address;
- any email communications, including attachments, which you send to us;
- where you are purchasing Discovery Kids Content from us;
- your payment information including billing address;
- your username and password for registering a Discovery Kids account;
- your Facebook login, where you use a Facebook log-in to create a Discovery Kids account;
- how you use our Discovery Kids Content and the devices that you use to access our Discovery Kids Content. This includes collecting unique online identifiers such as IP address; and
- details of your interactions with Customer Services
We may also need to collect your mobile number in order to complete the sign-up and subscription process.
We collect, store and use your name, date of birth, contact details, user name and password because it is necessary in order for us to provide you with access to the App and the Discovery Kids Content, pursuant to the App’s Terms of Service.
We also collect, store and use your personal information including your name, contact details and other information submitted to us, user name, password and service usage data for our legitimate interests, so that we can:
- make the App available to you
- provide any Discovery Kids Content that you request.
- administer the Discovery Kids Content; and
- suggest similar products to you that you may be interested in and to understand which products appeal to our customers.
We do not believe that our storage and use of your personal information for these purposes will unduly prejudice your rights and freedoms.
We also need to process information about your location to ensure that we provide any location specific Discovery Kids Content to you and (where applicable) to comply with any request by you to exercise your right to portability.
Sometimes, our use of your personal information is for purposes which are ancillary to the provision of the Website, App or the Discovery Kids Content. In those circumstances, we believe we have a legitimate interest in handling your personal information, and do not believe that this storage and use of your personal information will unduly prejudice your rights or freedoms
The relevant circumstances are:
- detecting and preventing fraud;
- keeping our websites, apps, products and IT systems secure;
- ensuring that our own processes, procedures and systems are as efficient as possible;
- analysing and enhancing the information that we collect;
- to use IP addresses and device identifiers to identify the location of users and block any unauthorised users;
- in some very limited circumstances, we will need to handle your personal information in a certain way to comply with our legal requirements; for example, if we are asked by regulatory bodies or law enforcement agencies to share the information; and
- where you have given your consent, contacting you by e-mail, with products and Discovery Kids Content which we think may interest you. We do not contact minors for this purpose.
We collect anonymised details about visitors to the Website and App for the purposes of aggregate statistics or reporting purposes. However, no single individual will be identifiable from the anonymised details we collect for these purposes.
We disclose information under the following circumstances:
- Third-party service providers: When we share information with third-party service companies to facilitate or to provide certain Discovery Kids Content on our behalf. This will include companies providing IT infrastructure and services that facilitate our provision of the Website, App and the Discovery Kids Content to you, for example;
- IT support service providers; and
- other third-party service providers, for the purpose of tracking our customers’ use of the Website, App and the Discovery Kids Content or sending our marketing communications to you (in accordance with your marketing preferences).
- IT support service providers; and
We will only disclose such personal information as is necessary for these companies to provide their services to us. These companies are authorised to use your personal information only as necessary to provide their services to us.
- Merger or acquisition: When we need to transfer information about you if we are acquired by or merged with another company. If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified afterwards via email and/or a prominent notice on our App of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
A cookie is a piece of information in the form of a very small text file that is placed on an internet user’s hard drive. It is generated by a web page server, which is basically the computer that operates a website. The information the cookie contains is set by the server and it can be used by that server whenever the user visits the site. A cookie can be thought of as an internet user’s identification card, which tell a website when the user has returned. Source https://www.aboutcookies.org
Technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by us and our partners, affiliates, or analytics or service providers. These technologies are used in analysing trends, administering the Website and App, tracking users’ movements around the Website and App and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as on an aggregated basis.
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of the Website and App
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the Website and App when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Website and App work, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to the App. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to the App and Website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our App more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of the Website or App.
We will take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard the personal information that you provide to us in order to prevent unauthorised access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, deletion or other similar risks.
Whilst we take such appropriate technical and organisational measures, no transmission over the Internet can ever be guaranteed to be entirely secure. Consequently, please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information that you transfer over the Internet to us.
We are committed to protecting your personal information using appropriate technical and operational measures such as access controls that restrict and manage the ways in which your personal information is stored and handled.
We are reliant on you to ensure that your personal information provided to us is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If there are any changes to your personal information, or if you believe that the personal information we have about you is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or not up-to-date, please contact us so that we may take steps to update your personal information.
You have certain rights in relation to your personal information. If you would like further information in relation to these or would like to exercise any of them, please contact us at email@example.com at any time. You have the right to request that we:
- provide access to any personal information we hold about you;
- correct or update any of your personal information which is out of date or incorrect;
- delete any personal information which we are holding about you;
- restrict the way that we process your personal information;
- prevent the processing of your personal information for direct-marketing purposes;
- provide your personal information to a third party provider of services;
- provide you with a copy of any personal information which we hold about you; or
- consider any valid objections which you have to our use of your personal information.
We will consider all such requests and provide our response within a reasonable period (and in any event within any time period required by applicable law). Please note, however, that certain personal information may be exempt from such requests in certain circumstances.
If an exception applies, we will tell you this when responding to your request. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to any request you make.
c/o DPlay Entertainment Limited
Chiswick Park Building 2
566 Chiswick High Road
London W4 5YB
You may also make a complaint to a European supervisory body for data protection matters. For example, in the UK this is the Information Commissioner’s Office who you can contact at:
The Information Commissioner’s Office
Water Lane, Wycliffe House
Wilmslow – Cheshire SK9 5AF
Tel. +44 1625 545 745
You may also seek a remedy through local courts if you believe your rights have been breached.