Summer is the perfect time to explore the great outdoors with a camping trip. If you can’t make it to a camp site or spend a lengthy car ride up to the mountains, you can still have an adventure right in your own yard!
A backyard camping trip is the perfect way to spend a summer weekend without packing the car or lengthy planning. Have your kids invite some friends over for a fun sleepover under the stars!
Here’s what you’ll need…
- Tarp (ground cover)
- Sleeping bags
- Matches (for parents)
- Newspaper or other kindling
- Candles (as a campfire option)
- Cooler with ice
- Hotdogs, buns and condiments
- Chips & dips
- Veggie sticks (celery, cucumber, carrots)
- Roasting sticks
- Graham crackers
- Re-usable plates and cups
- Look for a flat, rock-free area to lay your tarp down.
- On the tarp, open up your tent and set it up. Have your older kids help with hammering the stakes into the ground!
- Take off your shoes before entering the tent to keep it neat inside.
For Your Campfire:
Does your yard have a fire pit or a place to safely build a fire? Try using your barbecue grill or a camp stove if you’re limited in fire options. If you can’t use those, build a fake fire with a cluster of candle sticks or flashlights beaming up!
Share these classics with your kids for good old fashioned fun!
- Simon Says
- Name That Tune
- Have a Scavenger Hunt
- Go on a nature hike through your neighborhood
And, of course, don’t forget about fire-roasted hot dogs for dinner and s’mores for dessert!