You’ll use fruit to create shrunken heads in this craft.
- a vegetable peeler
- a butter knife
- pushpins or thumbtacks
- grains of uncooked rice
- mugs or cups
What to do:
- Peel the skin off an apple with the vegetable peeler.
- Twist and push a long pencil into the bottom of the apple until it’s about halfway through the apple.
- Use your butter knife to carve a nose, mouth, and two holes (which will become the eye sockets) into the apple. Then stick a pushpin or thumbtack into each socket. Now your applehead has eyes and a face!
- Stick grains of rice into the mouth for teeth.
- Place the apple head (with pencil still attached) in a mug or cup so that it can stand. To make the apple head stand on its own more securely, just crumple up some newspaper and stick the pencil part of the apple head in the middle. Be sure that the apple itself doesn’t touch anything.
- Let the apple head air-dry in a dry place for about two weeks or until it shrivels into a weird, wrinkly head!